mercoledì 17 ottobre 2012

ENGLAND/ OFFICIAL, Farina takes up community coaching role at Villa

Simone Farina has been recognised internationally for the moral courage he displayed when offered a substantial bribe to fix the outcome of an Italian Cup game in November 2011.

Cesare Prandelli, the Italy coach, called him up to the national squad as a reward for his role in exposing the attempted deception, Italy captain Gianluigi Buffon emphasised that Farina's "positive example should not be forgotten" and FIFA president Sepp Blatter invited him on-stage as guest of honour at the Ballon d'Or ceremony in May 2012, describing him as a role model for young people and naming him as a FIFA Ambassador for fair play.

Now the 30-year-old native of Rome is continuing to uphold the values he believes to be an essential element of the game by passing on his experience in his work as a community coach at Villa.

Farina has been at the club since mid-September and has already completed the Level One Award in Coaching Football to become an FA qualified coach.

Longstanding links between INTERPOL - who investigated the match-fixing scandal in Italy and awarded Farina a Commemorative Medal for his contribution to crime prevention and law enforcement - and Villa led to Farina taking up this opportunity, one which the former Roma youth player has embraced with characteristic enthusiasm.

"For me, working with children makes me very happy and I am delighted to be working with Villa to help to develop young players of the future in our community programme," Farina said.

"I wanted to move on with my life. Now I feel that I have real purpose again because of the support and opportunity Villa have given me.

"Randy Lerner and Paul Faulkner have been fantastic and already I feel I am part of the Villa family, especially with the way the club and the community have embraced me.

"I have learnt a lot from the other coaches here and I am trying to give my experience to the children. I am also learning from them because the atmosphere they generate is very positive.

"I know I did the right thing when I refused to get involved in the fixing of a football game. I went to the authorities because this corruption had to be brought to the surface. This level of deception has no place in football or in any walk of life.

"The opportunity here at Villa is perfect for me. It is also very satisfying to see the technical development of the children and their enjoyment of the game. This is what the game is all about really.

"I feel very happy in the Birmingham area as the people here have been great and my family are very happy, too. This is important to me, of course.

"But it is also important to me that I continue to work in football and that I am able to pass on my knowledge because football is an inspirational game.

"A year ago I did not see my life moving in this direction but I am really delighted to be able now to contribute in this way."

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento